Wednesday, October 9, 2013

That's What Friends Are For


It's redundant for me to say that I had a really crappy year last year and I'm still 20 days away from the anniversary of Sandy which stopped the clock for another 6 months while I worked to rebuild my house.

That being said,  I've also had two of the best experiences this year.  My first granddaughter was born the week before Sandy, and I was thrilled to be present when granddaughter #2 was born.  Shock of all shocks after having three sons! I've gone on trips, had lunch and dinner with countless new and old friends, closed the door on some things and opened my heart and mind to new ones-including writing this blog.

Amy at A My Name Is Amy nominated me for an award that she herself has been nominated for.  No, I won't need another new pair of shoes for this award ceremony.  This is recognition among bloggers for writing something that other people either like or find amusing and sometimes say "Damn, she's good."  Professionally, Amy is everything I want to be in a writer-she produces smart, concise pieces that are humorous, with some raw emotion thrown in for good measure.  Personally, I envy that she is 10 years younger and 4 sizes smaller than me. And since we're both without men and share a love for things that are bad for us, it makes me love her all the more.

As part of the nomination package, you have to answer questions about yourself and then nominate bloggers you enjoy reading and ask your own set of questions of them.  So here goes: 

1.  How did you pick your blog’s name?
I called my car insurance company last summer to inform them that Wingman had died and to take his name off the policy.  The agent hemmed and hawed and said that my rates would go up-not down-because I was a widow, and widows make bad risks in the car insurance world, whereas divorcees and single women do not. I remember thinking "Oh crap, I'm a WIDOW now."  "OH CRAP" might have offended some people, so I changed it to "Wow."

2. Knowing what you know now, what advice would you give your 13-​​year-​​old self?
Forget about anything else except learning as much as you can about everything around you.  Plan to go to college.  A real, 4-year college, preferably one far enough away so you won't be able to go home every weekend. Do things that might make you uncomfortable-be a candy stripper in a hospital, take care of a handicapped child.  They are life skills you'll need later on. That, and you won't be able to eat a whole bag of chips without it going to your butt when you turn 40.  

3.  What’s your favorite TV show?
Right now, it's The Newsroom on HBO over Scandal on ABC. In the past, it was definitely Sex and The City. She was a writer, wore great shoes and had a Big.  I contemplated writing a blog called "Sox in the Suburbs" when the boys were younger.  I'm glad I waited.

4. What are three things you cannot live without?
My kids, my BFF and my computer. Did you notice I said I can live without the Honey Cheese Curls???

5. Who is your favorite fictional character?
If I was out to impress people, I'd say Marguerite in Susan Howatch's epic novel Caschelmara.  She sucked me in 30 years ago with her strength leading a family in turmoil.  I've thought a lot about re-reading that book recently but, crap-it got ruined in Sandy.  Realistically though, I'd have to say that it's a toss-up between Carrie Bradshaw and Stephanie Plum.  Carrie turns her column into a couple of books and eventually gets her Big, which as a hopeless romantic, is the ideal happy ending.  Stephanie Plum has a whacked out job as a quasi bounty hunter in Trenton NJ, absolutely no fashion sense or money and TWO guys-Joe and Ranger. She's so bad, she's damn good.

6. What is your most prized possession?
A charm bracelet with special beads people have given me.  My son and his girlfriend gave me one with Jersey Shore sand.  A friend gave me a Purple Heart for the past year. Every bead is a memory.

7. Describe yourself in three words.
Perfect. Stunning. Dangerous.  No wait, those are my fictional blogging descriptive me words.  How about Disorganized, Well-intentioned and Funny?

8. What is your guiltiest pleasure?
Playing  games on the computer.  Such a waste of time and yet so freaking addicting.  I did give up my farm and cafe though and got my blog started because of it.

9. What single quality do you most appreciate in people?
It would have to be kindness. Before this past year, I might have said other qualities, but so many people with big hearts and small wallets were there to lend a hand when I needed it most. I know far too many people that are generous with their money but give nothing of themselves.

10. What’s your favorite post that you’ve written? (Link, please!) 
 I hate that you're putting me on the spot to pick just one. Should it be serious or funny? The voices in my head are urging me to pick one that they say is the funniest.  Of course they would-this one is all about them: The Sounds of Silence


This was harder than I thought, and more fun than I imagined.  Thank you A My Name Is Amy for nominating me and being my inspiration.  I'm supposed to nominate 10 bloggers, but alas, I don't follow that many.  If anyone would like to recommend other talented writers, please send me their links.  For the three Bloggers that I would like to recognize and nominate:





Please answer the following questions:

1)  What is your earliest memory?
2)  If you could hold on to just one memory from your life forever, what would that be?
3)  If you could have one super power, what would it be?
4)  If you weren't scared, what would you do?
5) What is the best complement you ever received?
6)  What is the worst advice you've ever taken?
7) What is your favorite quote, and by whom?
8) Who is your favorite author and did he/she write your favorite book?
9) What is the one thing that you can't live without and why?
10) Which post that you've written has your fan base responded to the most? Which post was your favorite? (And please provide the links!)

If you want to know more about the Liebster Awards, click here. Be sure to link this with your fellow bloggers and share the love.









1 comment:

  1. Barbara, thank you SO MUCH for mentioning my blog and welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! You are going to have the BEST time, getting lots of great feedback from people all over the world. Or from a few towns away. ;)

    There are some incredibly great blogs out there, too many to keep up with almost, but here are a few of my favorites:

    By my friend Marc, a lot about having a demylinating disease but also a lot simply about being human:

    http://www.wheelchairkamikaze.com/

    By my dear friend Jane in England, eclectic and funny:

    http://www.janeturley.net/

    Interesting and/or fun:

    http://www.tbtam.com/

    http://www.kitchen-retro.com/

    http://storytellerdoc.blogspot.com/

    Good luck and I hope you have as much fun writing your blog as I have had with mine!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to tell me what you think!

Fashion, Turn To The Left, Fashion, Turn To The Right

Christie Brinkley.  Cindy Crawford.  Claudia Schiffer.  Gisele Bundchen.  Names associated with top models that girls like me aspired to be....